Saturday, February 26, 2011

Be Your Own Advocate (Not WoW)

I don't post non-WoW stuff very often but I wanted to share something from my life these past few months.

In August I realized I had a medical issue. Nothing bad, nothing that couldn't be taken care of with medication. I went to see a doctor about it and was put on some meds that I will probably have to take for the next few years. Soon after that I began having sleep problems. I mean really weird awful sleep problems. I had a really hard time getting to sleep and when I could finally get to sleep I was unable to stay asleep for more than 4-6 hours at a time. You might think that's no big deal. Let me tell you that after a few months of 4 hours of sleep your brain just does not function the way it should. Add to that I quit smoking in early December and you have a recipe for utter crazy.

To make a long story short I was seriously beginning to question my sanity. I was walking around in a fog, feeling miserable all the time. What little energy I had was put towards keeping my job, what little I cared to keep it, logging into WoW to make an appearance for my guild, writing a bit here and there (and reading a lot). I just lost all interest in most things. I was miserable, tired, cranky, angry, lethargic and pretty much didn't care about what was going on around me.
I can relate this back to WoW in that I was hardly working on the wiki for Twisted Nether. I don't feel I was blogging very much because it felt like I was struggling with it, and I nearly gave up my guild because I felt like I had nothing left to contribute to it, and worst of all I didn't really care very much.

What finally changed was that I realized the medication I was on was not the correct dosage for me. The change I made to the meds was very slight but it made a tremendous amount of difference. Within the first week I was sleeping a full night again and actually didn't want to get up the next morning. (which made me very happy!)

My message to you dear readers: You are your own advocate. Pay attention. Doctors do know what to do but they don't always get it right. Ask questions and don't be afraid to say no or to change something if it just doesn't feel right. Do not be blind, deaf and dumb to the way you feel. The same cure does not always work in the same way for everyone. We are all different when it comes to dosages and the way medications will react in our bodies. If you think something is wrong it probably is. If you think something isn't working don't be afraid to ask for something else or a second opinion. In the end, only you know if something is not right and only you can make the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment